Browse the Garden

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Book Challenge Day 7: Most underrated book



Mara Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Javis McGraw

I read this book in middle school, and it is on my reread list. I'm surprised that it isn't very popular, and it's not found in most bookstores these days. I feel like this book could inspire an amazing film. The Egyptian history, spirited heroine and mysterious love interest make this story charming, but the double spy story and the politics make this novel interesting. Mara is a great protagonist and her allies and enemies depend on which path she chooses to follow in the end. All of Egypt lies in the hands of a slave girl from Menfe, transformed into an interpreter and double spy for the two political parties of Egypt. Who claims the throne will depend on who Mara decides to work for in the end. 
If this book had more recognition, I feel like it would be an instant classic and a wonderful film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment