Browse the Garden

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Book Challenge Day 2: A book that you've read more than 3 times




Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones

I still remember how I was introduced to this book. A friend from High School told me about it, just before the Hayo Miazaki film came out to American theatres. I read the back, opened the first page and couldn't put the book down. I honestly can't even count how many times I've read this book. It has everything: adventure, humor, romance and of course the classic elements of a coming of age story. Sophie is an amazing protagonist, and Howl is one of the silliest and charming characters that I have read in fantasy literature. Just like Sophie, you grow to love him as the story progresses, learning the difference between the rumors and who Howl actually is. The sequels to this book are comical and magical. Castle in the Air seems inspired by the Middle East, while House of Many Doors seems to be a silly children's adventure. Of the series, this is my favorite book, and the one that I could relate to the most. It has a powerful message that involves believing in what you can do, and learning who you truly are. Sophie discovers that she is more than a Hatter's daughter, and more than a house maid. She becomes a hero, or heroine, who discovers that she can not only break her own curse, but save the people she cares for with courage and confidence. 
I have definately read this book more than three times. It is one of my favorite rereads.

No comments:

Post a Comment