Browse the Garden

Monday, November 4, 2013

On Love At First Sight




Love At First Sight

Does it exist? Is it a myth? Can you really, truly fall in love with someone in a matter of seconds? There must be a reason for all those stories. Right? 
I have my own theory on why Love at first sight is a common theme in fairy tales. It expresses the innocence, kindness and compassion of the character. 
Two people find each other, and instantly feel like they're meant to be. I suppose it's possible. 
I may have experienced my first brush with this phenomenon at the Disney College Program. Within a few seconds of meeting someone, I felt like I could just be myself. The first time I didn't have to put up my guard, or feel compelled to do so. 
Even though I was cynical and refused to believe that love could actually exist, now I wish that things could be that simple. And for a moment it was simple.  But moments are fleeting, and I refused to think that it was possible. So I pushed it aside. But maybe, just maybe, love at first sight does exist. Or, people can find one another, despite the distance, time and history they would have noticed with anyone else. Maybe that's what people mean by soul mate. 
It's that one person, despite all you've been through, or allowed yourself to believe, who doesn't make you feel like you have to put on an act. The one person who seems to know, instantly that they want to be a part of your life, and you know that you want to be a part of theirs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment