Browse the Garden

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Book Challenge Day 15: Your favorite male character



Jem Carstairs from The Infernal Devices

This was actually a very difficult decision. There are several male characters that I can put in this catagory. Landon from A Walk to Remember, Augustus from The Fault in Our Stars, Costin from Wildwood Dancing, Adrian from Beastly and Dexter from This Lullaby are some of my favorites. But it had to be Jem. 
Jem is not only a shadow hunter, he is also a violinist, romantic and a loyal friend. Jem is faced with a terrible fate. The very poison that he was tortured with has become his drug in order to survive, but it is slowly killing him, and he knows he only has so much time on this world before he is gone. Jem is wise and patient. He is also funny and kind. His character has the most difficult journey in the series, and his choice between living and surviving is a difficult but admirable one. He becomes a very important character in the series, and he was the character that kept me reading. I don't won't to spoil the series, so I won't reveal his fate, but I will say that Jem was my favorite character in the series, because his story was the most human. He had to face his weakness, make a life changing decision and decide what type of life he would have. Jem actually taught me about inner strength that is so subtle, it is hard to recognize at first. Once Jem discovers his inner strength, he doesn't rely on fate. He does what he can to be the hero he always wanted to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment