Browse the Garden

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Book Challenge Day 14: Book from your favorite writer



Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier

I've mentioned Wildwood Dancing and Cybelle's Secret countless times, but I haven't blogged about Heart's Blood which is Marillier's version of a Beauty and the Beast story. It has a darker tone in the plot than her other novels, but this adaption was intriquing and creative. 
The story is set in Ireland, and involves the Norman invasion in the twelveth century. The main character Caitrin is a runnaway looking for a job as a scribe, and she comes across Whistling Tor. She learns of the dark magic surrounding its mysterious master Anluan and the secret of his family. 
The story has elements of a gothic novel and reminds me of Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre. The story also reminds me of another novel, written by Peter S. Beagle called Tamsin, which mentioned a similar type of dark magic. 
I enjoyed this story, and I came across it recently. 
This book is perfect for fans of Fantasy, Jane Eyre and Beauty and the Beast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment