Browse the Garden

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Interesting Things



So I'm currently in a class called The Writer as a Witness. We have some interesting homework. Every day we must write six interesting things that happened. As simple as that sounds, it is not an easy task. The teacher explained that this exercise will help us realize how aware we are of our surroundings. In doing this for five days, I have realized I am one of those people who float through life unless I notice something that sparks my interest.
When we first got this assignment I was a little annoyed. I thought to myself 'there's nothing interesting going on'. Well I was wrong. The past few days I have realized I'm surrounded by interesting things. Conversations and events that happen to me on a daily basis can actually spark some interesting and funny stories. Like the friendly bantering of my roommates or the fact I live in the mountains where my dad throws snow balls at squirrels who annoy him. Once you start writing down things that interest you, whether they are happy, sad, annoying or just plain odd, you kind of understand what you have to work with. In fact, just these little details can bring out some reality in stories. So I will be writing six interesting things a day this entire semester. I'm sure some of these things may spark a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment