Browse the Garden

Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey: A Review


I have loved the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien since I can remember. My Dad used to read the book to me, and I looked forward to every chapter. It's one of my favorite books.
I was surprised to discover that it would be made, not just into one movie, but three. And I was surprised to see many events and characters that were not in the book at all.
The movie doesn't start like the book does, but I found the opening more plausible than the book opening. Some of the dialogue and the songs come directly from the book. I was surprised that they used "That's What Bilbo Baggins Hates", but my favorite song is "The Misty Mountains" sung by the Dwarves. I remember hearing that in trailer, and it was so powerful that I got goosebumps.
I decided to read the book up until the point I thought they would end the film, but many scenes focused on what Gandalf was up to when he mysteriously disappeared and the Dwarves and Bilbo were in peril before he would show up again and save them just in time. 
I found that Thorin of Oakenshield was more noble in the movie than in the book. He doesn't arrive, piled on by four dwarves.
One of my favorite parts of the Hobbit is the chapter where Bilbo meets Gollum and finds the ring. I had a discussion in my literature class of how Gollum's character in The Hobbit is more scary than his character in The Lord of the Rings. I was really impressed by that scene in the movie, because it had the same feel to me as that chapter. It was entertaining, and creepy at the same time.
I have heard mixed reactions to the new scenes and characters. Some people like the new story line of Gandalf, and others want the movie to be just like the book. I personally found that it was well balanced. It answered questions that my class went on for hours about, and it still had the lighthearted and series feel that the book had. An epic adventure with powerful and important events that will change the main character. Bilbo did change, faster than in the book, but I liked that change as well, because it concluded his inner conflict in the first film.
All in all this movie was excellent. It's a step back in Tolkien's world and had the nostalgic feel of childhood. I rate it five out of five glowing blue swords.

Misty Mountain Song:



No comments:

Post a Comment