Browse the Garden

Saturday, February 16, 2013

FF 30 day challenge day 30: Has Final Fantasy made an impact on your life?


Prompt: Has Final Fantasy made an impact on your life? If so, how? If not, what do you like about the whole series itself?

Yes.
Final Fantasy has a powerful formula for story telling. I would say that the game series, particularity Final Fantasy X has inspired me to create world and tell a story by coming up with my own mythology and honoring the hero's quest. The game series has impacted me by challenging my knowledge of  mythology and learning the steps of a hero's journey.
The stories of the games are philosophical and connect with the human condition in a way that involves the creation of different worlds. The characters have human elements, and even the deities and villains show powerful symbolism that relates to epic folklore.  The pattern of a Final Fantasy story is varied, but asks the same questions: What is true purpose? What makes someone a hero?
These questions are powerful keys in storytelling.
The other characteristic of a Final Fantasy game is world building. How was this world created? How does magic work in this world? What kind of civilization thrives here? Do they have a close or distant relationship with their deity? Is there more than one world? Does time play an important factor in this environment?
And of course: character building is a crucial part of a Final Fantasy story.
How strong is this character? How do they view themselves? How do they view others? How do they act/react? Do they have a goal? What motivates them? Who matters in their life? What choices do they have to make?
Final Fantasy impacted my life by helping me understand a complex and advanced story. By exploring new worlds and following many different characters, I have learned what stories I can tell. I know what worlds I want to create, and what makes my characters heroes or villains. Final Fantasy has taught me that stories can have many layers, and characters can change depending on their history and the changes they must cope with throughout their journey.
Final Fantasy has inspired me to tell great stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment