Browse the Garden

Monday, May 14, 2012

Enchanted (Excerpt from Moon Mask)


               The mask stared back at me on the wall. The same bright blue feathers and gold trim that hung in the gallery.  The Duchess laughed as I stared. Her shrill voice echoed in my ears. There was something familiar about the object. It wasn't just the design. Almost everything the Duchess owned was adorned with swans, feathers and a strange crest that resembled a type of flower. It had eight petals, each a mirror image of the other.
             "Claire. Are you day dreaming again? Honestly, we're going to be late." The duchess said, waving her hand with a snap of her finger.
               I heard the words, but I didn't obey. Costin had mentioned something about a mask. How could his memory be connected to the Duchess?
               I felt a jolt as the Duchess walked up behind me.
            " You know better than to disobey me." she warned in a deep voice.
            She was right. I did know better. This wasn't the first time I had stared at the mask. Every time I did, a fog shrouded my memory, and a dull ache came to my skull. Why couldn't I remember? And if I couldn't remember, why did Costin? I noticed that the Duchess always acted the same way when it came to this mask.
             "You won't wear it. Ever." she said as she slapped my face. "Now get moving. We can't miss this Masquerade."
             I knew she was right, but the ache didn't leave me, not even with the sting of her slap. As far back as I could remember I lived here and accompanied the Duchess to every event. I had always wondered what happened to my parents and why only one memory, of a strange birthday, was engraved in my mind.
           "This is your last warning Claire." The Duchess said. "You don't get a third chance."
           She left the room, and the weight on my head disappeared.
           There was no doubt in my mind. The mask, and this mansion were enchanted. Did the Duchess have magic? I had never seen anything that resembled the potions and curses of the caravans that lined up on the street.
           I ran. I ran through the doors, past the coach, and across the bridge. As I ran I heard the fury in the Duchess's voice. I didn't hear the words, but I knew pain was waiting for me when I returned.
          Only one thought occupied my mind as I stumbled through the crowded streets; the mask was the key to it all . The curse, the loss of memory and the strange power that the Duchess used to control me were all connected to Costin. I had to find him before the duchess did.

No comments:

Post a Comment