Browse the Garden

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Snippet from A Winter Fairy Tale

 

           The sun was still in the sky when I stepped outside. My brother Andrian was waiting. 
         "Erena." My mother called as she grabbed my shoulder. "Wait. You must be patient." 
          Andrian bowed to the general and walked toward us. He carried an icy silver sword and his dark hair was covered by an iron helmet. 
          "Your highness, we have lowered the defense of the ice trolls, but there are rumors of reinforcements. The Troll Queen has started a storm in the east as a warning. 
          "I understand" Berend said, his white fur bristling. "We must prepare for a raid."
           The polar bear stepped forward and the army bowed before him. Berend's gold eyes watched the clouds as Andrian handed the sword to me. 
          "Are you sure about this?" Andrain asked. I could tell he was holding back. He usually spoke until he was interrupted by a laugh or a shout. 
          "We have no choice." I said, taking the sword. "If the story is true, this will be the last battle the ice trolls can fight. We have to hold out until sunrise."
          "How will you find the Troll Queen?" Berend asked, watching the sword.
         "I'll find a way." I strapped the sword to my belt and tied my hair up. 
         "You're not going alone." Berend said.
         "Be careful" Andrian whispered, pulling me in a hug. 
         "Wait," my mother said, pulling something out of her pocket. It was a comb.
         "You can't give me this." I said.
         " I can." My mother said putting the comb in my hair. "This comb was a gift from a powerful sorceress. It may protect you in the Ice Troll Realm."
          "We must go." Berend said. The army stepped aside to form a path.
            I looked at the clouds again. The sun was shining through the shadows. 
          " It is a sign." Berend said, stepping forward. 
            I kept my eyes on the white horizon, walking next to the great white bear. As I walked, I thought of my father, hopefully alive, and sitting in a cold cell somewhere in the Ice Troll Realm. This was the last time I would allow the Troll Queen to take something away from me.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment