Browse the Garden

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

30 day challenge day 10: Silver

Prompt: Silver

A flash of silver caught my eye. The wolf was getting closer. I decided that running was useless and looked for a place to hide. Some howls were coming from the distance, and all I could do was hope they wouldn't find me.
I heard the stream before I found it. The stream was also silver, but instead of being frightened, I found it comforting. The clouds reflected in the water made the river seem smooth, even though the water was constantly moving. It whispered and chattered. The breeze teased the water by my feet.
These wolves could not go near water. The stream would be a safe place. I moved forward and the howls faded into nothing. A raven watched me from a fallen tree. A path?
As I walked toward the tree, I could hear my grandmother.
"Lani! Lani, where are you?"
I followed her voice and found that I was in trouble. Her scowl was enough of a warning.
"I have told you never to follow silver when you are in the forest."
I knew that she was right. After all, my older sister disappeared that way. But the silver drew me, and almost sang when I saw it. Not all silver was bad. It lead me to the river for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment