Browse the Garden

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Writing Prompt 33: Why do you write?

        
      I write for many reasons. It started as a way to come up with great stories. I would write story after story in elementary school. I wrote more poems in Middle School and finally from High School on I have written many different pieces. I love writing.
       Writing was my escape for years. It's my escape from depression, hopelessness and of course doubt. When I write I can do anything and be anything, just like when I read I can go anywhere and become someone different. Truly great stories always contain an element of humanity, and I try to achieve that whenever I write. It could be anything, from an essay to a novel. Each time I write, I try to create a world where I can express who I am and what I believe. Hope is essential to my stories, and every single story I enjoy has some element of hope in it.
      Writing is my therapy. It can take me away and teach me lessons I don't have the courage to learn, and take me on a journey to discover more about myself and the world around me. It's more than a hobby, it's a life style and a method of survival.
       I get depressed when I don't write, similar to the way I get depressed when I don't sing. Sure, my writing isn't always happy and perfect, but it is a way to believe in myself. Whenever I write, I convince myself that I am someone important. It's a way for me to develop self confidence and achieve small goals that give me the courage to pursue greater goals. Writing gives me the courage to understand the world around me and discover what I can do.
      The stories I read inspire me to write. Movies, television and even video games have encouraged me to come up with my own world, and create characters that give people hope. The hope to achieve goals and discover their identity.
      In many ways, a story is the only place I feel like I can be myself, without judgement. I can believe the impossible and make a difference without facing the wall that I have put up.
     So, why do I write? I write to dream, live, laugh and learn. And one day, I will develop enough courage to create my own true story of accomplishing my goals and living my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment