Browse the Garden

Friday, March 9, 2012

The Case of the Missing Coffee Cake

 The Evidence
Culprit1: Dingo
Culprit 2: Haley

The Case: 

             It took only seconds, a run to the laundry room and a few minutes of folding towels for something to go missing. The item in question? A coffee cake. My one indulgence on a busy day of cleaning. The culprits in question? Two dogs. A black lab named Haley and a mixed breed named Dingo. I left the cake on the table just for a moment, planning to eat it when I was done with the laundry. But, when I came back, the delicious morsel was gone, and two dogs stared at me with sad eyes. I looked around, waiting for a clue to solve this case. I knew it was one of them, or perhaps both, but surely they didn't eat the plastic? That would be tasteless. My first question loomed in my mind. Why did they do it? I had just given them their food, water and I took them outside for some fresh air. They couldn't be hungry. It must have been revenge. I knew Haley to have a temper when it came to getting into trouble. Whenever she was angry with me, she would sneak off and try to find the nearest trash bag, just waiting to make a mess for me to clean up. Dingo wasn't innocent either. He had once gobbled up my favorite turkey sandwich in one quick gulp when I returned with a glass of water. No, it was both of them, but where was the evidence?
            I looked around. Nothing on the table, no scratch marks or piles of papers on the floor. How did they get it? Finally, I found what I was looking for. Under the table, pushed by the trash can was the plastic wrap for the cake. Licked clean, no doubt, and confirming my suspicions. The dogs had done it. Now for the questioning. I started with Dingo, who bowed his head in shame. I asked a simple question. "Did you eat my coffee cake?" His response was a roll to the side, as if he was avoiding the situation. He did not look me in the eye. I knew he wasn't innocent. Next I turned to Haley. She was better with the interrogation, having years of practice and a good innocent act. I asked her the same question and she let out a sigh, as though the question was pointless. I kept my eye on them as I reached in the cake box and pulled out another pastry.
"You're not getting this one." I said with triumph as I grabbed my glass of chocolate milk and walked away. I learned a lesson that day. Never assume that your food is safe, with two suspicious canines in the house. 
Solution: Grab another coffee cake

No comments:

Post a Comment