Browse the Garden

Monday, October 4, 2010

Psychology in Alice in Wonderland



So, I'm working on my essay for my Mythology class and I have purchased the Tim Burton version of Alice in Wonderland and I am currently reading the novel on the movie. I found it fascinating that Burton decided to do an emotional journey for Alice from the beginning. Anne Hathaway explains that the original version of Alice is a story where all the characters she meets are people she doesn't want to be. She's on a quest to find who she isn't. In this version of Alice in Wonderland, Alice must find who she is. As I've observed before, she does this through the myth quest. It appears that because the story revolved around Alice's internal world which mirrors the external, everything in Wonderland is a different approach at her situations in the real world. The sizes she goes through represent her confidence and her "muchness" increases through out the film. Another interesting observation is that the Bandersnatch wound she gets reflects her disbelief of all that is happening around her. This is an emotional battle with grief and self doubt. The prophesied battle with the Jabberwocky is really the internal struggle of Alice with her negative emotions. This can also be viewed through the battle between the passive White Queen and the aggressive Red Queen. Alice must find herself somewhere in the middle. I think this essay may go well.

No comments:

Post a Comment