Browse the Garden

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Kdrama month prompt 13: Your Favorite "I Love You."



Kim Do Jin- "I'm going to start a one sided love."
Seo Yi Soo- "Who is . . .?"
Kim Do Jin- "You."
Seo Yi Soo- "Me?"
Kim Do Jin- "Don't reject me."
(From A Gentleman's Dignity, Episode 3)

This is one of the most cleverly written confessions, and well performed moments in a Kdrama that I have ever seen. What I love about the dialogue, is that Kim Do Jin already knows that Seo Yi Soo has a one sided love with her friend's boyfriend, and is very careful to keep that secret. Once Kim Do Jin finds out about it, he uses that fact about her to determine her view on relationships and love, and approaches her in a way that she can deal with because of her pessimistic expectations. One sided love soon becomes a frequent topic between them, and Kim Do Jin claims to never have had that problem. Then he falls for Seo Yi Soo and, knowing that she is dealing with feelings for another, is determined to prove her wrong about her view on love. As the series progresses, he even gives her a manual to follow, based on his own experiences, and tells her to use it if she does fall for him.

Manual for One-Sided Love by Kim Do Jin
1. Think about me all day without eating or sleeping.
2. If I don’t answer the phone or respond to a text, get hurt and be anxious.
3. Try hanging around my office or house while hoping you run into me.
4. Even if you see me, watch me endlessly from far away. Lovingly.
5. If I talk to another woman, become crazy with jealousy and consider crashing into her with your car.
6. Obtain my elementary, middle and high school graduation photo no matter how and put it in your wallet.
7. Come to my house abruptly sometimes and make my heart flutter.




No comments:

Post a Comment