Browse the Garden

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Kdrama month prompt 1: Your Favorite Kdrama


You're Beautiful may not have been the first Kdrama I watched, but it was the first Kdrama I became engrossed in. I've probably watched this drama more times than I can count. I became fascinated with the Kpop celebrity theme, and I loved the complexity of the characters. The symbolism also drew me in. Reoccurring themes like stars, light and darkness helped expand the story and reflect some of the dynamics of the characters.  These writers knew how to keep you in suspense, yet gave you some hints as to what was coming in the near future. I also liked how human the characters were. There wasn't a single character that I abhorred or didn't understand. Even the worst character, Hwang Tae Young's mother had a specific grudge that held her back, and made sense based on the habits of her character. What I loved about this drama's plot was how they took the pop idol stereotype and broke it down to show the real people that lived under it. You learn about Kpop idols along with Go Mi Nam, a complete outsider to this idea of the world. I also like how Go Mi Nam creates her own family with these idols while trying to reconnect with her own family. She grows with each mistake and becomes more comfortable with who she is once she realizes who she can be. This drama was really focused on the complex characters, but it also held a comedic element to the situation and balanced tragedy and comedy really well.  


No comments:

Post a Comment