Browse the Garden

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

More than a provincial day: A Disney Designer experience




So I realized that Belle and Beast were being released today at the Disney Store, and I decided to take advantage of my day off. I did want this doll set if possible, and when I dropped by the Disney store after my writing observation, I was told that the store would release the Belle and Beast dolls, and to be there at ten. Well, the actual raffle for the dolls didn't start until noon, but I was there to witness a magical moment.
Today is the anniversary of the Magic Kingdom Park, and in honor of that day, two kids from the crowd waiting at the store were selected to open the store and call for TinkerBell to get the store up and running.
This entire event reminded me of when I worked at Disney, and I got to see the Safari opening of magic kingdom while getting the coffee stand ready for business.
The cast members set up a pole with a giant lock, and started asking everyone if they had the key. The kids looked around, and finally another cast member, hiding behind the PeterPan display held up a giant key with the Disney trademark intial. The kids were so excited, and they held the key, and unlocked the store.


This is when the cast member at the door announced that the first major event was the release of special edition Eric and Ursula dolls. She told me to come back for the raffle for Belle and Beast, so I spent some time wandering around the koi pond at the front of the mall. It was nice and quiet, and I noticed many different quotes etched in the stone.
"We must not only act, but also dream; not only plan but also believe." - Anatolie France
"Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are." - Bernice Johnson
"To find the universal elements enough; to find the air and the water exhilarating; to be refreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter; to be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in spring - these are some of the rewards of the simple life." - John Burroughs.
I think that quote was my favorite.
So I walked around and enjoyed the early morning sun, and the koi fish that swam up to the bridge and poked their heads out of the water. I debated making a wish at the fountain again, or going in to window shop, but I enjoyed the quiet walk in a place I normally knew as a bustling walkway.
Mom met up with me later, and we both waited until noon to put our name down for the raffle.
Now, for those who haven't done this before, the raffle isn't free. It's a chance to purchase the dolls. And this was my first time experiencing a Disney Doll raffle for sure.
In the end we each got a doll, and our names were called one by one. A few names were called, but no one claimed them.
What really made this day special was a couple who had put their names down the same time me and Mom did. The girl was there for her birthday, and Belle was her favorite princess. Her boyfriend put his name down too, and in the end her name was called!
So the event went much better than I expected it to. I had heard some horror stories of the last doll set, but in the end, I had a great day, and now Mom and I have doll sets to display. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment