Browse the Garden

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Writing Prompt 35: Top 10 Movies

Prompt: My Ten Favorite movies

I loved this movie when I was a kid. (Already a fan of epic adventures.) My aunt would put this on the TV whenever I came over and my eyes would be glued to the screen.


This story holds a special place in my heart. The film came on T.V. very often, and whenever it did, I couldn't change the channel. (Of course this is another epic quest film- starting to see a pattern here? he he)

Does this one even need explaining at this point? Favorite fairytale and a Disney Princess that loved books and adventures just as much as I do!

The book series I grew up with on the big screen. Priceless.

How I got through High School. These movies will always bring back memories of screenings with my Dad and my friends. A very epic saga. I also love the books ( of course).


I watched this movie so many times when it first came out, and read the book before I saw the movie. I love everything about this film and book (even though they are very different). Tristan's journey to move on from the past and build his own future will always be meaningful to me.
My favorite Hayao Miazaki movie. I love Howl. And, Sophie's journey to self confidence captures the magic of this film. Howl's return to humanity and Sophie's  newly found confidence help both characters find a home and give them courage to fight for what they believe in.

This movie really explores the inner and outer conflict of good vs evil. The story also revolves around the meaning of real strength. Steve Rodgers discovers the power of having a good character is stronger than brute strength.
Not only is this film beautiful, it is about living life instead of worrying about what will happen. Marlin's journey from a paranoid father to an understanding parent showed him that he could change his circumstances once he changed his perspective.
A modern reverse Beauty and the Beast story about changing your fate and breaking free.

        I love so many movies, and in general I love action packed, fun films. This was actually a very hard choice. But these films spoke to me the most. Each story taught me a different lesson. The Dark Crystal inspired many worlds in my imagination. The Last Unicorn taught me that sometimes stories have a bittersweet ending. Beauty and the Beast defines my idea of a relationship (getting to know each other and going at your own pace). Harry Potter brought magic into the real dramas of school life and adolescence. The Lord of the Rings inspired my first fantasy story with its memorable characters and epic plot. Star Dust taught me the lesson of how to heal a broken and deceived heart. Howl's Moving Castle gave me the courage to believe in myself and what I can do. Captain America showed the inner conflict of doing what is right without allowing others' judgement to control your life. Finding Nemo showed me that life will happen, so it's better to live it instead of worry all the time. And finally, Penelope taught me that sometimes the actual obstacle holding you back from your dreams is really just yourself.
        So there you have it. Ten movies that I don't get sick of, and remind me what life is about. This list may change over time. Different stories and characters are always influencing my life and my journey as a writer. But that's the beauty of stories and tales. They grow and change over time. The same message and meaning through a new lens and dream.

What movies make your top ten list? What have you learned from them?

No comments:

Post a Comment