Browse the Garden

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Life isn't fair: A weather report


      We've all heard this phrase a thousand times. We must deal with life, and accept that it isn't fair. Today I actually did a bit of research and found an interesting article on how to view "fairness".  In general, we never think of weather as something we can control, so we tend not to blame the weather for our problems. If it rains, we bring an umbrella. If it snows, we wear coats and scarfs to keep off the cold. The point is, we adjust to the weather, and in doing so, we accept the fact that it will be cold, it will be wet, and it will be out of our control.
     But there are some things in life that we do not view that way. Personal problems, conflicts between family and friends and other situations at school or work, or even in the drive through. It happens all the time on the road: It's not fair I have to wait in a traffic jam; It's not fair I have to get out of the way for someone riding my tail: It's not fair that I have to deal with selfish people on the road.
    The simple thought of it's not fair becomes a powerful message to the brain that the situation can be controlled, when in reality, it is not. The saying goes, that you cannot control others, but you can control yourself. The same thing is true for tough times, illnesses and of course, conflict.
     An example would be day that it snows. You cannot control the snow, but you can wear a coat and gloves. You can't control the wind, but you can put a hood over your head. This is how you adapt to a situation, and accept it.
     I admit that this is the most difficult thing for me. I am always about fairness, justice and of course karma. But I live in a situation where expecting things to go my way is like standing in front of a hurricane and demanding that it will disappear. It's not going to happen, and no matter how "unfair" the situation is, the more I scream at the hurricane, the less likely it will do anything but continue to destroy my surroundings. So maybe I can look at the situation as if it were just that, a hurricane; something I cannot control and shouldn't even attempt to tame. Because it's just life. And I can stand there screaming at it until it runs me over, or find a shelter, move away from it and continue living.
     There are some situations that I can compare to rain, in the case that I don't mind it and accept that I cannot control it. Other situations are like snow. something that has to be dealt with: the cold with a coat and the snow with a shovel.
      Looking at Fairness like a weather report seems like a good coping mechanism. All things change with time, and perhaps that hurricane will go away, or turn into a simple breeze. But I can't control it and I shouldn't even try.

The article I read is here:  http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/headshrinkers-guide-the-galaxy/201108/life-isnt-fair

No comments:

Post a Comment