Browse the Garden

Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Importance of Conflict



I have had a lot of conflicts lately, and most of them have changed at least one aspect of my life. In the past, I did whatever I could to avoid conflict, including never voicing my opinion. Then I met someone who was very similar and realized that ignoring how you feel isn't healthy. We go over in writing class that conflict is a crucial part of a story. Only through conflict can the characters learn about themselves. What they want, What they need and What's in their way is all determined by conflict. In the myth quest, a character must overcome obstacles to grow, and they must also endure conflict. Now, here's the interesting part:internal conflict is just as important as external conflict. The fight between heart and mind, right and wrong, good and evil that takes place inside. This type of conflict determines who you are and who you want to be. I've had a lot of struggles with that lately. Mainly because I am reaching a crucial part of my life, graduating college and preparing for the outside world. I still have a lot to learn, but I have also learned many lessons through conflict.
That doesn't mean that conflict is easy. There is a reason that people run from it. It is unpleasant, annoying and at times confusing. Some conflicts start before you realize they have begun, others are obvious and important. An internal conflict works in many ways to develop your personality. Memories of pain, joy even can spark a conflict between your mind and your heart. For me, this is especially true when life gets rough. Suddenly when things are complicated, unclear and confusing all around me, I feel like I have lost who I am. Similar moments have also occurred with people I know, some moments where I failed to realize it in time. Even so, conflict is very important. Just as a series of obstacles creates a hero in literature, overcoming fears and being honest can shape you into the person you want to be. It's a tough call when conflict is necessary and when it isn't. Similar to the battle between heart and mind, usually a conflict can be driven by one or the other. But how you deal with conflict, and how you handle life can be an important part of you are. I'm slowly learning this, as I deal with conflict after conflict.

1 comment: