Browse the Garden

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Writing Prompt: 43 Life changing books

Prompt: Name any life changing books you've read


One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
This book began my fascination with rhyme. I wrote poem after poem once I could learn how, because I loved the way the words sounded.

The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien

My Dad used to read this to me when I was a kid. I was always curious what would happen next and looked forward to story time. In fact, it's probably this book, and my Dad's reading it that inspired me to become a writer.


The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis:

This was the first book series that I couldn't put down, and it inspired me to come up with stories on my own. Stepping into that world motivated me to create many worlds of my own.


The Time Quartet by Madeline L'engle:

This book series was more of a step toward courage. At the time I was very young, and afraid to move to a new place. These books gave me the courage to make that decision and do the best I could to make the best of any situation.

Salior Moon by Naoko Takeuchi
This series got me interested in mythology. The complex story lines, classic light versus dark and good versus evil motifs always fascinated me and encouraged me to come up with a mythology of my own.

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

This book taught me that some stories have a bittersweet ending. The second time I read it, I learned that it was a coming of age story. It also fueled my dream to own a pet unicorn one day :) My imagination was wild  even in elementary school.

Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
I literally grew up with Harry Potter. I got my Dad into this series, and it got to the point where Dad would read it first because he was the faster reader. I'll never forget waiting for my turn to read the books, and all the conversations Dad and I had after reading them.

Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Mariller

This book appeared in my life by chance, and inspired a new ritual of going to the book store and just picking a book at random. It was during a tough time between Middle and High School that I read this book for imagination, sanctuary and comfort. Jena's courage, acceptance of her faults and her strengths helped me deal with the toughest times in my life.

Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya
This series will always mean something to me. It got me through depression, High School and just taught me about life in general. It was a well written story with very complex and amazingly human characters. Each time I read it, I learn something new about life, the world and the people around me.

The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien
This was one of the best fantasy stories ever written in my opinion. Tolkien is one of my role models as an author. When I read these for the first time, I was writing a novel before I realized it.

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen
This book changed my attitude towards love. I changed with Remy, as she discovered it wasn't always a strength to separate yourself from your heart. Once she realized this, I realized I needed to believe that I had the strength to get over a broken heart.

Beastly by Alex Flinn
This book helped me learn more about myself, and it inspired my own version of Beauty and the Beast set in modern day. This is one of the books I recommended to my mom, and when she read it, it meant a lot to me. I'll never forget how excited we were to see the movie.


How to be like Walt by Pat Williams and Jim Denney
This book changed my outlook on my situations in life. Disney has always been a source of hope for me, but this book showed me that those stories and characters were created by someone who had his own challenges in life. Once he rose above them, he achieved his dream, and lived his life. This is my goal, and my guidance towards my dream job.

Books have taught me more lessons than I can remember. These are my most well known moments and stories. I'm sure there are many more. I learn something about writing, living, growing and changing every time I read these books, and I have many memories that revolve around them.

What books have changed your life?


No comments:

Post a Comment