Browse the Garden

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

What's really important



"Never, ever lose sight of
what is really important."
James -Tiana's father
The Princess and the Frog

When things go wrong, big or small, I always forget to remember what is important. The roof over my head, the family I care for, the friends I cherish and the good times I've had. This quote may seem small and simple, but is is a deep and enlightening thing. My dad told me that growing up is not just taking responsibility for your actions, but having perspective on the situations you get involved in. I'd like to think of it as a peer review session. Take everything with a grain of salt. Understanding the perspective of others can be challenging sometimes, but it is worth it in the long run. Letting the small things ruin the big picture is an immature act that can damage instead of heal you. I look back on all the mistakes I've made and I realized that yes, I did learn something and no, I won't make the same decisions in the future. But you can only decide how to deal with these things by having the perspective to define the small jabs and the big punches. I guess this is another way to put the past behind you. Once you remember what's truly important to you, you can put things in their place and even forgive yourself for the mistakes you've made.
The important things can replace the grudges, irritation and obstacles you face in any situation. It may not be easy to draw them out, but it is worth it to take a step back and observe the situation by remembering what's important to you. I'm beginning to understand that life is far too short to dwell on the past, and life is way too important to take for granted. It's all part of growing up and accepting who you are. Remember what's important and you can get through any tough spot in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment