Browse the Garden

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Writing Prompt 21 : Five books that changed my life



Prompt: Five Books that changed your life are . . .

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien


This book has to make the list because it is one of the most memorable of books read to me when I was a kid. It was probably THE book that got me into reading and writing. I remember Gollum's riddles most of all :)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

This is a favorite classic of mine that really explores the good and bad traits that people can have.

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen


This book welcomed me into the realities of life that can be changed through your perspective. It's my favorite of Dessen's and I can really relate to Remy.

Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya

This manga series taught me so much about going through tough times in life. It will always be my favorite manga.

The Count of Monte Cristo
by Alexander Dumas

This book got me through High School, and helped me deal with my own thoughts of revenge and anger with my situations.

Books are important teachers, so I really thought about this prompt. The interesting thing is that many books we go over in college don't have the in-depth personal lessons that Fruits Basket has, or that Sarah Dessen's books teach. I have some classics in this list because the memorable thing about reading them, mattered through my personal experience with the book. The Hobbit was my childhood, Count of Monte Cristo and Pride and Prejudice were my teenage years. So now, I open up this prompt to the readers. What books changed your life?

2 comments:

  1. If you don't mind, I'd like you to expand on why many college books do not have in depth personal lessons, according to you. I assume you are not talking strictly textbooks.
    I don't know which books have "changed" my life, but some of my favorites are A Little Princess, Harry Potter series, and 1984. I'm not sure what they did, but I remember them, which means they are important because I can't even remember the title to the book that inspired my first "long" story -_-

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I mean by personal lessons, is that the story teaches you something important about yourself. Many educational books and novels in English class teach lessons about the world, and general topics. I'm not saying that no college novel or book will have a personal lesson, I'm talking about the life lessons that reflect inner growth and understanding. Different stories speak to different people, and no one has the same experiences in life.
    Thank you for your question :)

    ReplyDelete