Browse the Garden

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Myths and Legends



I am excited to announce I will be taking a class on Arthurian legends, and a class on Greek mythology. J.R.R Tolkien drew inspiration from Norse mythology when he wrote The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. I think authors enjoy the great stories passed down for generations and can use their knowledge to inspire their own world. Fairy Tales and Folklore were told long ago, not only to entertain, but also to teach their listeners about life. Each character grows no matter what story is told. Beowulf tells its namesake hero's story as he is challenged by three obstacles. The Greek and Roman Gods represented the elements of humanity. King Arthur and Alexander the Great have amazing tales throughout the world. All of these stories inspire me to create folklore of my own, and build heroes who must journey through seemingly impossible tasks to learn who they are. Writers must always do research on what they want to write. As my creative writing teacher told me, the saying "Write what you know" can add details to your writing and draw inspiration from your life into your character's experience. Myths and Legends have passed down through a combination of the two, personal experience and imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment