Browse the Garden

Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Fault In Our Stars: A Movie Review



I picked up a book called The Fault in Our Stars at the beginning of last year, because Ashley Clemments and Daniel Vincent Gordh read an excerpt from it, and they posted the video on The Lizzie Bennet Diaries channel. The scene they read was so powerful, and I knew teens were hyped up about this book, because I worked at a bookstore, and that book was the most requested. 
So I gave it a shot, and my eyes were opened. Life, it's not perfect, but it's beautiful and worth living. Hazel's voice was so intune with my own that I fell for Augustus, and his zest for life. The way he viewed the world, and the way that Hazel criticized it. 
The story was a breath of fresh air in the YA genre. John Green wrote a story about life, it's ups and downs, its blessings and curses. He wrote a story that rang true to the heart. So naturally, I had to see the movie. 
It was a wonderful adaption! Shailene Woodley made a great Hazel. She captured Hazel's bitterness and straightforwardness, and the occasional warmth that Hazel let herself show. Ansel Elgort was perfect for Augustus, from his quirk of the brow to the deep and meaningful statements he makes about life and oblivion. The movie followed the flow of the book, and it stayed true to the major events in the story. My only compliant is that one of my favorite quotes was skipped over, but it wasn't right for the pace of the film. This movie was incredible, and one of the best book to film adaptions I have seen recently. It did the story justice, brought Hazel and Augustus to life and conveyed the crazy mix of ups and downs in life. 
Five out of five stars, and an infinity inbetween! 

No comments:

Post a Comment