Browse the Garden

Monday, January 23, 2012

On Pain

"I don't want my pain to be erased. As wretched as it is, I need my pain. It makes me who I am." Grumpy from Once Upon A Time

This quote really stood out to me.  Pain is something that no one likes to admit. It is the one part of yourself that you hide the most because it is a weakness in your mind. But pain comes with it's own lessons. The lessons you learn about people and the lessons you learn about yourself.
It's never easy to accept pain, physical or mental. That's part of the journey to discover who you are. You find a way to cope with pain, learn from it and work your way toward a better situation.
I think accepting pain is another way of growing up. Once you understand why something didn't go the way you planned, or why you were hurt by something someone did or said, you have a new type of confidence in yourself, and you can move on.
It isn't easy to acknowledge pain, or accept it. But it is possible to understand it. You can relate to people who have experienced similar pain, and you can acknowledge the fact that you are not the only one who has felt it.
I'm slowly learning this lesson as I allow myself to stop running from the past. Many parts of my past were painful, and I refused to acknowledge them, especially at the time. But as long as I can understand the reason for that pain, and how I used the pain to make choices in my life, I think I will get past the difficult times and prepare myself for better times.
My problem involved being ashamed of pain. I deemed pain a weakness and refused to acknowledge it. I hid it away in a box, and buried it as far as I could, away from anyone who would try to find it.
Now, day by day and little by little, I'm trying to find the box, so I can accept my pain and allow myself to understand it. Because, I agree with Grumpy. Pain makes you who you are, and once you accept it and understand it, you can use it to become who you want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment